Believe In Winx
Please Sign In/Register and join our community!
Get access to the latest news, episodes, and much more!

Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 33bzmae
Believe In Winx
Please Sign In/Register and join our community!
Get access to the latest news, episodes, and much more!

Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 33bzmae
Believe In Winx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 29y2mzv

The RP Season

Season: Autumn
Month: October
Day: 28th
Year: 2016
Bookmark the forum
Bookmark and Share
Latest topics
» Who I am (StellaX)
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YMon Aug 07, 2023 3:14 pm by Florawinx

» Winx friends
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YFri Apr 21, 2023 3:20 am by winx.crasherr

» Winx Club Online is back! + Winx Adventure Social Game!
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YFri Apr 21, 2023 3:12 am by winx.crasherr

» Join the discord
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YFri Mar 31, 2023 10:55 pm by Pokémon Trainer

» suggestion: add a contact up form
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YMon Aug 29, 2022 6:30 pm by lmodern2

» Old Member... New Name
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YMon Aug 29, 2022 6:24 pm by lmodern2

» Introducing myself
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YWed Aug 17, 2022 3:27 pm by Flora 24

» Returning Years Later
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YMon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 pm by musa225

» IF OUR OC’S WERE IN FATE
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YThu Aug 11, 2022 1:00 am by Pokémon Trainer

MAGIC SPOTLIGHT
CONGRATULATIONS to these two BelieveInWinx members for becoming Contest Winners on the forum contest, Melodic Inspiration!!

- ELEIYA LILUM

- VARDA ELENTARI
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Staff Team

ADMINISTRATORS
https://i.imgur.com/3wGxPoy.png
SUPER MODERATORS
https://i.imgur.com/2w8wb51.png

MODERATORS
https://i.imgur.com/94OjYzI.png https://i.imgur.com/prGNouv.png https://i.imgur.com/tVJO9a5.png
RP MODERATORS
https://i.imgur.com/H6heUyJ.png https://i.imgur.com/UgDXH9Q.png
Statistics
We have 7398 registered users
The newest registered user is Inaaya

Our users have posted a total of 222731 messages in 5649 subjects
Top posting users this month
No user

Wizard of Oz Adaptations

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Which pair of magic shoes are better for Dorothy
Silver
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 OF8qjdp0%Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Ck5wUFn
 0% [ 0 ]
Ruby
Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 OF8qjdp100%Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Ck5wUFn
 100% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
BelievixKid100
Harmonix Fairy
Harmonix Fairy
BelievixKid100

Flora Helia
Hobbies : Hospital Volunteer, Drawing, Music, watching vids online.

Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YThu May 30, 2013 3:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Discuss any adaptation of the original book here. Everyone knows about the 1939 film and how blonde Dorothy in silver shoes became the braided brunette in the ruby slippers but there were some other adaptations such as a cartoon back in 1987 (I saw it through Cookie Jar's online video site) which stayed truer to the book. Here's an interesting fun fact about the slippers being ruby, it was done for the sole purpose of taking advantage of technicolor process, silver shoes MGM wouldn't settle for so they became ruby. Also in the books here's another fun fact All 4 lands the north, south, east and west have both good and wicked witches and according to the books their names are as follows below

I do like the adaptations based on the 39 film as well as the 39 film itself it's such a fun adaptation and had very catchy music

Good/Wicked in the color of their land
North:Locasta/Mombi
South:Glinda(she was chosen as the witch of the north for the 1939 film and recent prequel because she is the most powerful witch that we know of)/Singra
West:Gloma/Theodora (name from 39 prequel originally just the Wicked Witch of the West (I'll get you my pretty and little dog too!)
East:Abatha/Evanora (39 prequel's name originally just the Wicked Witch of the East)

Also take your vote on whether the slippers look better in ruby or silver
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Domino_kitty
Sirenix Fairy
Sirenix Fairy
Domino_kitty

Stella Riven
Location : I used to be on the East Coast of the US in beautiful WNY. Now I'm in Canada where we have a living wage and health care.
Hobbies : Political debates, reading, writing, procrastinating.

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YFri Aug 02, 2013 3:50 am

Since we're talking about Wizard of Oz adaptions, can we talk about the musical Wicked as well and 'The Wiz' musical from the 1970's?

I absolutely loved the musical, I'm trying to find enough art to make my banner and avatar for the show. And I have the soundtrack as well. I liked how the writers of the book 'Wicked' and the musical had that Elphaba and Galinda (Glinda) were friends for a while and how it was a spell by Elphaba that turned one person into the Scare Crow and another into the Tin man.

Honestly I think I liked the musical better than the book.
Back to top Go down
BelievixKid100
Harmonix Fairy
Harmonix Fairy
BelievixKid100

Flora Helia

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YSat Aug 03, 2013 3:05 am

I personally like the books and 39 film and it's prequels and sequels best. I actually find the fact that Oz is a dream to be more realistic because of the name of the continent on which Oz is located in the books Nonestica, sounds like a shortened form of Non-Existent, so MGM might have made that change for the better, of course Disney at different points in history has made both a sequel and prequel to the 39 film, the prequel being the most recent, quite interesting though, and they finally named the east and west Wicked Witches after 80+ years of being nameless.  Theodora in the west and Evanora in the East hmm interesting how they were good but turned rotten due to Oz's treatment of Women aside from Glinda who should be south but is north so I guess there is no south witch in The Disney-MGM version of the stories. I know Walt Disney himself planned to do a book adaptation in film back in the 60's but it was denied for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Domino_kitty
Sirenix Fairy
Sirenix Fairy
Domino_kitty

Stella Riven
Location : I used to be on the East Coast of the US in beautiful WNY. Now I'm in Canada where we have a living wage and health care.

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YSat Aug 03, 2013 3:13 am

The Wicked Witches of the East and west had names in the Book Wicked well before that movie came out last year. Elphaba and Nessa Rose. I prefer that version of the prequel much better than the Great and Powerful Oz movie.
Back to top Go down
BelievixKid100
Harmonix Fairy
Harmonix Fairy
BelievixKid100

Flora Helia

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YSat Aug 03, 2013 3:27 am

Elphaba and Nessarose are two completely different characters, which are non-canon to the Disney- MGM story or main story, prior to Oz the Great and Powerful as far as Disney-MGM or the original is concerned we had no name for them, so I use the prequel names for them.
Back to top Go down
Domino_kitty
Sirenix Fairy
Sirenix Fairy
Domino_kitty

Stella Riven

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YSat Aug 03, 2013 3:37 am

BelievixKid100 wrote:
Elphaba and Nessarose are two completely different characters, which are non-canon to the Disney- MGM story or main story, prior to Oz the Great and Powerful as far as Disney-MGM or the original is concerned we had no name for them, so I use the prequel names for them.

This is a thread for talking about the different adaptions and Prequels for the Wizard of Oz, right? Wicked is a prequel to The Wizard of Oz. It's a book and a Broadway Musical. In both the Wicked witch of the West is Elphaba, she was born green and her father is ashamed of her. Her sister Nessa Rose ends up being the Wicked witch of the East and is in a wheel chair.

Galinda (Glinda) Winds up siding with the Wizard. Brock- a Munchkin I believe- Is later turned into the Tin Man by a spell. Fiero is turned into The Scare Crow near the end of the book/ play by a spell Elphaba casts to protect him. In the end of the story you find out that the Wizard was Elphaba's real father.

That's why I brought it up, it's yet another prequel.
Back to top Go down
BelievixKid100
Harmonix Fairy
Harmonix Fairy
BelievixKid100

Flora Helia

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YSat Aug 03, 2013 3:33 pm

^Yes, but Wicked and the adaptations I'm talking about are both non-canon according to the Baum Family which has final say on canon or non-canon. There is a matter of canon to the books, and some are semi-canon. I never said that the 1939 one was canon or that the Late 70's/early 80's sequel and the Oz prequel released this year were canon either.
Back to top Go down
Domino_kitty
Sirenix Fairy
Sirenix Fairy
Domino_kitty

Stella Riven

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YSat Aug 03, 2013 3:36 pm

BelievixKid100 wrote:
^Yes, but Wicked and the adaptations I'm talking about are both non-canon according to the Baum Family which has final say on canon or non-canon. There is a matter of canon to the books, and some are semi-canon. I never said that the 1939 one was canon or that the Late 70's/early 80's sequel and the Oz prequel released this year were canon either.  

So are you still discussing non canon adaptions as a whole? That's what I'm asking. Because if you are then we can discuss the books from Wicked and the Wiz musical from the 70's. That's what I was getting at because the title says discussing Wizard of Oz and adaptions then you told me that since Wicked was in a different genre and canon that Elphaba and Nessa Rose weren't the same as the Wicked witches of the East and West in Oz the Great and powerful when they are, but in a different story line.

Back to top Go down
BelievixKid100
Harmonix Fairy
Harmonix Fairy
BelievixKid100

Flora Helia

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YSat Aug 03, 2013 3:39 pm

We can discuss anything but i've never seen the 70's musical or read Wicked but I am aware of it and possible angles that go on.
Back to top Go down
Domino_kitty
Sirenix Fairy
Sirenix Fairy
Domino_kitty

Stella Riven

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YSat Aug 03, 2013 3:51 pm

BelievixKid100 wrote:
We can discuss anything but i've never seen the 70's musical or read Wicked but  I am aware of it and possible angles that go on.

I never saw the 70's version either, but it was an all African American cast and they had Michael Jackson for one of the parts and Diana Ross for another.

We ended up learning one of the songs from it in my 3rd grade Music class.
Back to top Go down
BelievixKid100
Harmonix Fairy
Harmonix Fairy
BelievixKid100

Flora Helia

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7YSat Aug 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Interesting, though I do wonder why they keep changing the Good Witch of the North's name so much. I can excuse the Disney-MGM Version for making Glinda the north because she is the most well known good witch even though Glinda is the witch of the south in the books, but in the books and some musicals they go back and forth between Locasta and Tattypoo. I accept Locasta as her name as it is the one L.Frank Baum gave to her, Tattypoo sounds childish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wizard of Oz Adaptations   Wizard of Oz Adaptations - Page 3 Eo1pl7Y

Back to top Go down

Wizard of Oz Adaptations
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3